Monday, February 8, 2010

This town is too small



Today I went downtown and no I'm not already downtown like you would think. I'm just outside of downtown. So I went to this coffee place that serves a really good smoothy and not one of those low budget ones with the ice cream and high fructose corn syrup. This is a pure smoothy made entirely out of frozen fruit. I order and stand to the side where I notice one the most attractive blondes I've seen in a long time. So I get my smoothy and sit down next to her. She's drinking an espresso and so I figure I have a limited window to get to know about her and maybe get a phone number.

So tell her my first name and strike up a conversation with her. I think it started with asking her where she gets her hair done or something fairly effeminate so she doesn't feel too threatened or think "oh great, another guy picking me up, why can't I enjoy my espresso in peace." About four minutes into the conversation. Yeah there was a clock behind her and I couldn't help but to keep track of how long this lasts. I'm sure it would have been better to actually listen but the length of conversations have always been fascinating to me. So four minutes in and she asks me what I like to do for fun. This is a question I really don't like because I don't like much of anything anyone else likes to do for fun. But I would rather not lie because if I do and we end up hanging out we might have to see a movie or go ice skating or do whatever people do for fun. So I just tell her what I've been doing for fun lately. So I say "Well, right now I spend most of my time inside I like to go online and post a call for artist on craigslists and then have people email me their work and then I turn everyone down.

It's a lot of fun because it makes me feel powerful to crush someones hopes." She laughs a little like in a way someone would if I was kidding and asks what the call for artists is all about. I tell her I have an art gallery where I display local artists. She asks which one, and I say "The Brad Metcalf Gallery." She responds "WHAT!, you're Brad Metcalf?" I am, I reply and for a second I get a significant ego boost because she's heard of me. But then she tells me her name and suddenly feel like a complete fool because I remember the name from an email and a body of work I saw that was really awful. But I really didn't care, it wasn't the first conversation I've had ending with the word "Asshole" and a mad stomp out of the room. I would have to admit this experience was overall a positive one. I could never date, let alone be friends with someone who's major influence and inspiration is linked to Andy Warhol.

*DISCLAIMER*
I, Brad Metcalf do not turn down anyone's artwork for the fun of it. Saying no to artists work is actually not fun at all and when I do I hope the artist will find a place to display their work and have a lot of success. I remember what it feels like to be turned down at galleries and would never want someone else to feel discouraged about moving forward with their work or the promotion of it. The majority of the time artwork is not accepted into the gallery because it doesn't reflect the current theme and scope of work in which the gallery is working to promote. Also, please remember this blog is for entertainment purposes only, and contains very little truth in each posting if any at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment