Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The checkout line




I was just standing in line at the grocery store when a nice young woman came up behind me with a very bored look on her face. Normally I wouldn't talk to anyone while in a line but I was in a great mood that day and I thought, eh, why not try and cheer her up so I start up a conversation about why all the gossip magazines are right where you have no time to read them and then I mentioned something about how much candy bars are now and how I remember when they were 35 cents. She seemed to be mildly entertained by my pointless observations but mostly she just smiled and nodded.

Then something totally unexpected happened. She asked when we could go get some dinner together. I was so taken back by the question and it made me so nervous that I just started talking and said the following:

I don't know, it seems like I would be doing all the talking. Sure, I
would have someone beautiful to look at but what if when I start
arguing with the waiter about how under cooked my Kobe steak is and
then to my surprise I happened to pick the worst day possible to argue
with him because unbeknownst to me it just so happened to be the day his
girlfriend ran off with his best friend and come to find out she's been
cheating on him for a year and a half and add to that he was going
to his best friend for advice on his relationship and in doing so helped
to break them up so his so called friend could have her for himself
and he is so upset and angry he decides to take all that emotion out via a fork in my eye.

So anyway, dinner sounds cool. Tell me your name again.

No comments:

Post a Comment